Business & Enterprise
How does B&E status affect Teaching and Learning at Walton High?
Specialist Subjects - Business Studies, Maths and ICT
We offer a very wide choice of Business related subjects, with targets set at all key stages:
Advance Learning Day : MY MK
- Short courses including Young Chamber
- Advanced Learning Days i.e. Healthy Schools, Passion for Fashion, MY MK
- Business and Enterprise Lessons
- GCSE Business Studies
- GCSE Business Communications
- BTEC ICT
- Short courses / national competitions
- Advanced Learning Days ie Stock Market Challenge
- AS Business Studies
- A2 Business Studies
- AS Economics
- A2 Economics
- AS ICT
- A2 ICT
- BTEC Subsidiary Diploma/Diploma in Business
Vocational courses are also given a high status, over the past two years a number of Level 1 and 2 BTEC courses have been introduced into the KS4 and KS5 curriculum:
- BTEC First Certificate Health and Social Care
- BTEC First Certificate in Science
- BTEC First Certificate in Sport
- BTEC First Certificate in Digital Media
- BTEC First Certificate in Performing Arts
- BTEC Diploma in Sport
- BTEC Diploma in Science
- BTEC National Diploma in Sport
- BTEC National Diploma in Science
- BTEC First Certificate Art and Design
Maths and ICT have a significant business and enterprise dimension. Economic and Financial Understanding themes are taught across the curriculum and in Tutor Time sessions, Short Courses, Advanced Learning Days and in Citizenship modules.
'Interconnectedness' is a key success factor in improving schools; Business and Enterprise must be integrated through the curriculum and the focus is on teaching and learning.
Enterprise skills include entrepreneurship, team work, problem solving, thinking skills, communication, decision making, creativity, innovation, evaluative and languages skills, all subjects have commercial links involvement with national initiatives and competitions.
We use and develop links with local business and industry - for Business and Enterprise it is not a contrived relationship, collaborative projects i.e. Monster Play have mutually benefited both parties. The WLC runs many courses which meet the needs of the local and wider community. We have recently joined the MK Chamber of Commerce and looking into founding a Youth Chamber.