Key Stage 3
In Key Stage 3 all students follow a broad and balanced curriculum. Whilst there is a focus on the core curriculum students also study a range of creative and performing arts subjects as well as the humanities, modern languages, and health and fitness. The usual number of sessions allocated to different subjects is shown in the table below.
|Subject||Allocation of sessions per cycle|
|English – Language||4|
|English – Literature||4|
|Philosophy & Ethics||3|
|Creative (Art, Textiles, Design and Technology, Food Technology and Media)||4|
|Performing Arts & Music||6|
Key Stage 4
Walton High’s three year Key Stage 4 supports students to follow a wide range of subjects and many choose a combination of academic and vocational courses. In addition to GCSE English Language, English Literature, Mathematics and Core PE students choose others from the following which are arranged in option blocks.
Academic - GCSEs
- Art & Design
- Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Business Studies
- Combined Sciences
- Computer Science
- Design Technology
- Food & Nutrition
Vocational – BTECs and OCR Nationals
- Creative Media Production
- Health and Social Care
- Performing Arts
- Sports Science
Key Stage 5
As young people are now required to stay in education or training until the age of 18, all Level 2 qualifications offered in Key Stage 4 have a Level 3 progression route to Post 16. Milton Keynes Education Trust also offers a number of apprenticeships.
Walton High also has many opportunities for an enriched experience beyond timetabled lessons.
- Session 9 activities offering both enrichment and support. Activities currently on offer include Shakespeare Schools Festival, Comic Book Club, Film Club, Masterchef, Chess Club, Jazz Club and Pop Choir.
- On Advanced Learning Days the normal timetable is suspended in favour of cross curricular study during which students experience the challenge and excitement of learning something new and in depth.
There is an exciting programme of outdoor adventurous activities including participation in The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme and canoeing, rock climbing and snowboarding.
- Walton High also offers a wide range of sporting opportunities both for those interested in fitness and those who wish to engage in competitive matches and represent the school.